When Someone Gets It

Home Forums General Discussions When Someone Gets It

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alex Davies 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jeremy
    Participant

I thought to get conversation going I’d start on a positive note. Was there ever a time when a friend, family member, or acquaintance just seemed to “get it” when you had an opportunity to talk about your depression?

I’m probably not the greatest person to ask the question because, frankly, I’m in a pretty crummy place at the moment but I’ll give it a try.

I don’t have a lot of friends, but I know that some of the most affirming conversations I’ve had have been with people whose experiences have been totally different than mine. But they ask questions. They affirm that it’s hard. They don’t assume that overcoming questions is anything like recovering from an afternoon with the blues.

What about the rest of you?

Elishagee
    Participant

When someone gets it. It can feel quite reassuring but it doesnt help. Empathy doesn’t offer a solution. Though understanding provides securtity in ones self.

Alex Davies
    Keymaster

For me, there was a time when someone had got it. Unfortunately it’s more common when people have gone through similar things. I find it depends on how it’s explained to them though. It does provide that sort of security but the empathy in itself can provide me with its own form of relief…just being able to talk to someone about it helps.

What about you?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.